Friday 24 July 2009

Green Bean and Barley Salad

Trying to use up the abundance of green and yellow beans from my garden;

I based this recipe on one in my Canadian Living magazine. This hearty salad is easily made and would great for a picnic.I did change the white wine vinegar for lemon juice.
To make ahead I mixed everything together except the lettuce adding it just before serving.

Ingredients:
1 lb. green beans
1 cup pearl or pot barley
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 garlic clove minced
1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups arugula or spinach or mescalin
2 cups grape tomatoes
2 green onions chopped
2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Trim beans, cut in half diagonally, Blanch in salted water for 2 min.
Chill in ice bath,
drain, pat dry.In large pot of salted water cook barley for 25 minutes til tender.

Drain and cool.
In large bowl mix oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, mustard , salt and pepper. Add barley and beans.
Mix well. Add whatever greens you like tomatoes , green onions and cheese.

Makes 12 servings 142 Cal per serving......

4 comments:

Rosanne said...

This looks very interesting, I saw a salad recipe on Martha's site using green beans....I'll find it and send it to you.

Rosemary said...

Rosanne would appreicate MS recipe. Lots of beans still coming on.....Will be freezing some for winter......

Noodlegirl said...

Oh yummy!

Teresa said...

My beans are not quite ripe yet but I will come back to this recipe when they are!