Saturday 11 October 2008

Great Weather Weekend!


This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada , in southwestern Ontario the weather is fabulous. 22 C. in the daytime and about 9 at night no rain in the forecast until late Tuesday or Wednesday morning.
What have I been doing this weekend?
Sitting on my front porch reading and sipping wine
and admiring my new front garden.
This past Wednesday Norfolk Gardens landscaped my small front yard with 3 yards of soil , huge amount of mulch and some great plants.
2 girls in about 5 hours completed this garden , what would have taken me 2 weeks to slug all the soil, etc.
In the garden is a lace leaf Japanese maple by the name Tamukeyama, this cultivar originated in Japan in 1710.
A pyramidal boxwood, hinoki cypress,Kosteri; cushion style blue spruce, ; 3 heuchera,Dolce Creme Brulee; 3 Moor grass , Molina Variegata; 3 dwarf spirea, Golden Carpet; hydrangea ,Limelight;
finish the garden plant list.
Tamukeyama Maple

view from driveway

golden carpet spirea

side view

blue spruce

limelight hydrangea

Dolce Creme Brulee Heuchera

Just so you don't think I totally wasted the day I did plant some spring bulbs,
tulips purple and pink that I had brought with me from the last home, just had to keep some of my prettier tulips!

alliums, Purple Sensation; and 75 crocus
multicoloured .
I tried a new technique of layering the bulbs tulips, alliums and crocus on top in the same planting spot. It will be interesting to see how that works out next spring.
The Japanese maple will be burlap ed later this fall.
Hopefully all the plants will get a good start this autumn and put on a good show next year.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Your new garden looks wonderful and I bet it was a joy to sit on the porch and admire it. Have a great long weekend.

Rosanne said...

What a nice way to spend your day! And the garden looks terrific! Love the plant choices!

Lythrum said...

You look like you have had a wonderful day. :) Definately had much more planting energy than I did, I'm pooped for the season. ;)

Linanna DESIGNS said...

Your garden looks stunning Rosemary, I am so jealous, I would love to be sitting on your patio with that gorgeous view!!! Enjoy it my friend. Hugs Linda x

Pat said...

Lovely garden.
Very tidy,unlike mine.
You reminded me to get bulbs.

Shady Gardener said...

What a wonderful landscaping job, and what a pleasure to sit on the patio and enjoy it!! :-) I hope to plant some bulbs this week and next.

Teresa said...

Your porch looks very inviting and the Japanese maple is exquisite!