Sunday 9 September 2012

War of 1812 Bicentennial

It has come to be an annual outing to  watch  re-enactments at Backus Heritage Conservation  Area .
This year celebrating the bicentennial of the War of 1812.
There will be celebrations  continuing  in 2013 and 2014.
This year I attended the twilight   event at 7PM on an overcast  rainy day. 

Camp site of the Royal Navy.
dusk 

 Red Coats on the march.
women following behind
Elaborate  costumes .


 The fog of war  , all the smoke from the  muskets and artillery.


Americans and British fighting for control of the bridge.
Over 200 hundred visitors  for the afternoon   show and the  same  for the trilight  re-enactment.
Interesting  historical  evening.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

There have been celebrations in my community too, but I haven't been able to attend them.

Rosanne said...

Terrific pics!

Karen said...

Hi Rosemary, I tried to leave a comment before, but my computer got persnickety and made me leave, lol. What a realistic reenactment, it looks so real. Around here, we have groups that depict fur traders and pioneers, but they don't put on this sort of a show. I bet it was amazing to see first-hand.

The summer is really winding down, isn't it? It's been a strange gardening season, so much drought. At least it is raining here tonight which, though it's too late to make much difference in the gardens now, will help us in the long run. I actually hope we have a lot of snow this winter. We need the moisture! (Of course I say that now, wait until we're six feet under a snowbank and I'll be whistling a different tune, lol!)

Donna Heber said...

Hi Rosemary,

Beautiful photos of this great event! I have a friend who does these types of re-enactments. She makes her own costumes and everything. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Jennifer said...

Hi Rosemary, I would have loved to have been there- not in reality-I'd have hate to see men killed- but to get a real sense of our history.

Victoria Williams said...

Fun! I'd love to see a re-enactment some day.