Monday 17 May 2010

Pineapple Room Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie

One of our favourite tea rooms for lunch; the Pineapple Room in Port Stanley sadly closed at the end of 2009. What a loss . This delightful restaurant was full of charm with excellent food.....One of the recipes they have posted on their web site for the continuing B&B is a classic rhubarb pie an old Mennonite recipe that was one of their most popular pies.
With the abundance of rhubarb crop this spring I had to make it. Let me say this one is not low in calories but oh so yummy..

8 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 cup full fat sour cream
Combine sugar, flour and sour cream into a paste . Add rhubarb mix well.

Pile into unbaked pie shell.


Top with crumb topping.
1 lb. flour
1 lb. brown sugar
1/2 lb butter
Blend with fingers til crumbly( I did not make this large amount)
Bake at 350 for 1 hour. ( my pie baked 1 hr and 20 minutes)

Rich and delicious!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hmm I make the rhubarb pie from the Altona Mennonite cookbook all the time, never heard of the sour cream one, just the eggs and sugar for a yummy custard. Might have to give this a try. Maybe opt for Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream. That way I can pretend it's healthy lol

Pat said...

Now that's a pie I've never heard of.
Everytime I click on your profile and read "retired" I get jealous...9 more years to go.

Jannett said...

oh my this looks delicious...:)