Monday 1 February 2010

Puffed Wheat Cocoa Squares


Sometimes men are like children. DH wanted puffed wheat, a childhood favourite for a breakfast cereal.So there sat a huge bag after only 2 breakfasts were consumed.
He has had enough of this walk down memory lane.
What to do with this surfeit of puffed wheat?
Thank goodness for google.
Unbeknownst to me, puffed wheat squares has been an old fashioned treat many have enjoyed.Never heard of it. In our childhood home the big hit was Rice Krispie Squares or Chocolate Coconut Drops.
This is the recipe I tried from Recipzaar.
Butter 9 x 13 pan
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 TBSP. cocoa
8 cups puffed wheat cereal
Measure puffed wheat into a large bowl.
Melt butter in a saucepan.
Add syrup, sugar, cocoa.
When mixture begins to boil, boil for 3 minutes and then remove from heat.
Add vanilla.
Pour over puffed wheat and mix well.
Calorie wise only 150 per square.
Makes so much I will be sharing.They are good but not something I would make again.
Never really liked puffed wheat , now puffed rice I love.Hum, should I walk down memory lane? No don't think so.
Still have half a bag of puffed wheat left. What ever will I do with it?

1 comment:

Rosanne said...

Hmm, they sound interesting.