Saturday 22 November 2008

Steamed Raspberry Pudding

This week I did one of the jobs I absolutely hate.
I defrosted my small chest freezer, dug to the bottom to find frozen food I did not know was in there. You know how it is, you buy new stuff put it in thinking I will rearrange later and NEVER get to the rearranging part.
Thank goodness, there wasn't too much that had freezer burn. Wasting food bothers me.
My freezer is now sparkling clean , no frost at all . Food stacked and sorted neatly.
My good intentions are that I WILL start to use up what is in there before I buy anymore. With that mission in mind, I pulled up some raspberries that were okay but not something to use in a fancy cake or pie.
With the price of raspberries I wasn't going to waste them.
What to do with them?
With the coming Christmas holiday on the horizon , a streamed English pudding popped into my head.
With that in mind, searched my recipe books and the Internet for a steamed fruit pudding recipe.
I found what I was looking for in a very old Good Housekeeping cookbook my Granny gave me back in the early 1960s.
This steamed pudding could be made with whatever fruit you like. Fresh or Frozen.

Fruit Steamed Pudding
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
2 TBSP. butter
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups fruit, raspberries, peaches, pears, blackberries whatever is on hand
Beat together sugar, butter, egg , vanilla and milk.
Sift flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Stir flour into milk egg mixture beat til smooth.
Stir raspberries gently into batter.
Pour into a 2 quart well greased mold or oven proof bowl.
Cover bowl first with waxed or parchment paper then cover with sheet of foil , secure with kitchen twine.
Place bowl into a dutch oven with water bath coming up on the sides of the bowl half way. Cover dutch oven . Bring to boil, then turn heat down steam for 1 1/2 hours.
I topped mine with a bit of raspberry jam and sifted icing sugar.

One could use clotted cream, creme anglais any pudding sauce one likes.
This pudding can be served warm or cold.

I indulged with a little vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

Shady Gardener said...

Ohmygoodness, that looks wonderful!!! I'm going to have to try this!! :-) (Not only a wonderful dessert, but a clean freezer! ha. I've just begun listing everything I put in the freezer and marking it off when I take it out. Hopefully, that helps!)