Thursday 2 October 2008

Autumn Pie Baking

The first of October, fall is in the air, cool rainy one minute , sun shining the next, a brisk wind blowing.
With the fall comes the urge to bake, at least that seems to be what I find myself drawn to do more of as the heat of the summer leaves......
I came across a new apple, at least it is to me. Ginger Gold an early apple good for eating but wonderful for baking. I had baked them up as a simple baked apple stuffed with brown sugar and sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg and a pat of butter. Yummy.They were so good decided to try them in a rustic pie.
Up till now I have leaned towards using Northern Spy apple only.
I am so glad I have expanded my apple horizon.
Here is the prep , I make my pie crust using the recipe on the Tenderflake Lard box and do use pastry flour as it makes a flakier crust.The Ginger Gold apple with its wonderful yellow colour is a cross between a Golden Delicious and a Pippin. I chose to make a rustic pie folding the crust over the apples in a casual style.
I had some raspberries to use up and made some pie bundles , my name for them.Here are all of them baking in the oven.
The final delight, pie alamode with a vanilla caramel ice cream
YUM YUM~!
Really haven't included my apple filling recipe because I did the standard, sugar brown, flour for thickener , butter, cinnamon and allspice. Baked at 375 for about 45 minutes as I made a thinner style pie.

3 comments:

Rosanne said...

Looks yummy!

Jean said...

Love apple pie! It is that time of year. Jean

kml said...

Apple Pie - my favorite! Yours looks scrumptous!