Tuesday 30 October 2007

Donna's Apple Cake

At Thanksgiving my sister Donna, my only sibling and as she likes to remind me "frequently" much younger sister, made the best apple cake I have ever tasted.
Donna is an excellent cook and baker.
The whole family raved about this cake .
There are layers of apples in this cake which adds so much flavour, it
has lots of moistness and keeps well. Not overly sweet. Looks good on presentation.
Unfortunately do not have a picture of this cake but still had to post the recipe because this cake is too good not to pass along.

APPLE CAKE RECIPE

350 degree oven, well greased tube pan or 12 cup bundt pan or large spring form pan

5-6 cups apples, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp, lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar( calls for white, but I use brown or some of both)
1 tbsp, cinnamon
Mix together and set aside.

2 cups sugar 4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil 3 cups flour
1 tbsp vanilla 1 tbsp baking soda
1/2 cup orange juice 1/2 tsp salt
pinch nutmeg

Mix sugar, oil, vanilla, orange juice, eggs, whisk till smooth,
Mix dry ingredients together, then fold into wet mixture.

Spoon a little more than 1/3 of the batter into pan, cover with 1/2 apple mixture, then batter, 1/2 apple mixture, then last of batter. Top with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar(again I use mostly brown)
You can do the layers differently also, like 1/2 the batter 1/2 apple, 1/2 batter and top with apple mixture, depends on the pan you use, what will be on top.
Place the cake pan on a baking sheet and put in oven
Bake approx. 60-70 min, rest 20 minutes then take out of pan.

Baking time I found out depends on the pan, first ones I did the pan make a deep cake (about 5-6 in) so the 60-70 min was good, however the one I made I took for Thanksgiving made a 3-4 in and I should have only baked it I think for 45-50 min.

Apples to use Northern Spy, Cortland or Granny Smith.
No icing required but a dusting of icing sugar if you like. Donna did say this cake is hard to release from a pan , Tube pan or spring form might be best.

1 comment:

Victoria Williams said...

Thanks for the recipe!