Sunday 28 October 2007

Canadian Apple Dumplings

Now that fall weather is really here in southwestern Ontario, apple baking is on the agenda.The temps have cooled to 15C. in the day and 5C. at night, much more conducive to having the oven on.
One of my favourites and my Mom's is Apple Dumplings. Sometimes we buy them already done at one of the many bakeries around this area but for me the best is still homemade.
Using what ever pie crust you prefer ( Tenderflake Lard recipe is the one I use)Roll out a large round.


Prep apples(I use Northern Spys) wash , core and peel only half way down the apple, try to not cut through the bottom.
Into the middle of the apple , pour maple syrup , sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg and mace / allspice.
Dab about 1/2 tsp butter on top.
Place apple in middle of round , fold dough up around apple sealing with a touch of milk if needed.
Brush crust with an egg or milk wash.
Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes.
Serve warm with ice cream, caramel sauce or whipped cream

When you cut into the dumpling the maple syrup, spices, butter and apples own moisture make a wonderful sauce.
Great fall comfort food.

2 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds soooooooo good! And easy too! thanks.

Jannett said...

These look so good. I will have to try them.