Friday 7 September 2007

Beer Bread


Made Beer Bread from a Year in Bread.
Flavour was good, used Bud light beer ,
but loaf was heavy I boobooed used hard bread flour instead of all purpose.
Will make this again with a stronger beer and some herbs, and the right flour.

Beer Bread
3 cups flour
1 TBSP white sugar
1 Tsp. salt
1 TBSP. baking powder
1 1/2 cups beer
Glaze 1 whisked egg and 2 tsp water
Optional additions;dill, oregano, cheese, onion, garlic etc.
Preheat oven to 375.
Mix together dry ingredients, slowly add beer, mixing until just combined.
This will be a thick batter.Place into a greased 8 inch loaf pan.
Bake for 45 minutes.Brush with glaze if you like.
Add herbs, onion, garlic to the dry mixture if chose to.
Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan.
Yummy served warm.
Makes great toast.
Freezes well.
Keeps only for 2 days if not froze or eaten by then .
This dry mixture would make a good gift done up in a fancy cellophane bag with recipe attached, bottle of beer ,loaf pan, tucked into a wicker basket with a pot of savoury butter or a jar of homemade perserves like my garlic jelly..

3 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

I did make the cheese bread, then I made another after son's girlfriends dog, Louie, ate it off the counter while it was cooling. I liked it. I think I might try the guyere, bacon and onion version next time.

Rosanne said...

It looks good and I like the fit idea.

Jannett said...

This bread sounds good. The hummingbird photos are soooo cool.

I hope you do not mind I have tagged you for a meme.

:)