Monday 6 June 2011

Rhubarb Custard Bars

Rhubarb is still growing  happily with the cool spring.  I love rhubarb custard pie but wanted a  change so tried this bar from rhubarb compendium. I did make some changes.... of course. Added spices.

Crust:

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter,  room temperature
Filling:
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp flour
4 eggs beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
4 cups rhubarb, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
Crust: blend flour & sugar together, then cut in the butter with a  pastry blender. Press crust into a 9x13 inch baking pan that has been sprayed with a cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes .
 Filling: in a large mixing bowl blend sugar and flour, then add eggs, vanilla ,spices and rhubarb and blend well.


Pour mixture over partially baked crust and continue baking for 30-35 minutes.
Dust with icing sugar. Serve with ice cream or rhubarb sauce.
I chose vanilla bean ice cream...
This was very good but this is some of the changes I would make next time:
don't add more rhubarb than recipe requires or it won't be custardy enough. I added 5 cups way  too much!  and would bake in an 8x8 pan to give more of the cookie base and  more filling  depth..

4 comments:

Rosanne said...

Sounds yummy!

~mel said...

Yum ~ that looks good. Rhubarb custard pie is one of my faves. I'll have to give this recipe a twirl:)

Jannett said...

this sounds really good..I love rhubarb.... ;o)

Shady Gardener said...

YUM! I've just printed it off! :-)
Thanks, Rosemary!