Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Shrove Tuesday- Oatmeal Strawberry Pancakes

I love pancakes and really don't need a special day to eat them  but since it is Shrove  Tuesday , why not take advantage... Pancakes have a long history  stemming back to ancient times.  So many countries have their own version of pancake  , crepes in France, blini in Russia, Germany has potato pancakes,America has flapjacks , doesn't matter what country  all have a version of  pancake.
Wanted  something lower in  fat.  Decided to  try oatmeal pancakes . Adapted  a Canadian Living  recipe . One  thing I learned a  long time ago from my brother in law Keith  use no oil in the  pancake batter makes them fluffier.I also left out any extra sugar  since I am using maple syrup as the topping will be more than sweet enough.
Ingredients;
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or soured milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg slightly beaten
Combine  milk and oatmeal together let stand for 1/2 hr.
Add  remaining ingredients  stir to just  combined do not over stir.  


Top with sliced strawberries or whatever  fruit you have on hand.  You can mix in the fruit tho I like the look of them decorating the top.In lightly greased frying pan drop about 1/4 cup batter.




  Cook til bubbly on top flip over..  cook another   couple of minutes until  lightly golden brown.
This recipe serves 4 or 2 if   you  love pancakes.
These pancakes are  heavier  than the usual pancake   yet light. Far better from scratch then any box mix and so easy.

6 comments:

Rosanne said...

These sound really good!

NO REASON NEEDED said...

Crepes and waffles are my manner of choice though we too had pancakes this evening.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Yum Yum, I love pancakes, my family calls me the pancake queen.............these look great.

Shady Gardener said...

Yum! :-)

Rosemary said...

Thanks all these were Yum

Jannett said...

sounds yummy.... :o)