Tuesday 12 January 2010

Butterscotch Dainties


More yeast bread baking , so satisfying.
Also an excuse to use one of the new baking pans I received at Christmas.
This recipe is from my favourite bread book, 1963 BH&G Bread Cook Book.
This recipe makes dinner rolls and a sweet treat without kneading.
Batter Rolls:
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk , scalded
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 slightly beaten egg
1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
Soften yeast in warm water. Combine shortening, sugar and salt add to scalded milk. Sir till shortening melted , cool to lukewarm. Once cooled beat in 2 cups flour , beat 1 minute using mixer til gluten strands appear. Add yeast and egg. Beat batter for about 1/2 minute. Add remaining 1 1/4 cup flour. Beat for about 2 minutes. Cover dough and let rise about 1 hour.Stir down beat thoroughly.
Half of this dough can be used to make dinner rolls.
Drop by TB. into greased muffin tins filling half full, let rise til double about 30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
Dinner rolls are great but for my sweet tooth I made with the other half of the dough ,Butterscotch Dainties.
Into each muffin cup put 1 tsp butter, 2 tsp. brown sugar and 1 tbsp. corn syrup. Arrange pecans over mixture.
Drop by Tbsp's the other half of the dough onto the brown sugar mixture in the muffin cups.. Let rise till double about 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 15 - 20 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack.
I found my rise times longer due to the cool house plus I used this flour.

Robin Hood Nutri , tried this flour for the added wheat bran thinking health conscience . Robin Hood flours have been my choice of brand for the last many years...I found even tho this flour is supposed to be fine in place of all purpose , the rise was not good, very slow . Grain of bread not fine. At first thought it was perhaps the yeast I used, but checked the date, that was fine.
So I made a loaf of bread ; previous post, and it rose perfectly using exact same yeast but regular all purpose flour.The grain of the bread was fine as well.
I had previously made with the Nutri flour some cookies and brownies but was not happy with the results ; thought it was something I did wrong. After this test feel it is unfortunately this flour blend.
The rolls and sweets tasted good but the lightness wasn't there.

2 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

Well the Dainties sure look good!

Rosanne said...

They do look good, too bad you weren't happy with the flour!