Saturday 5 December 2009

Butternut Squash Soup

There are 2 vegetables I do not like , never did as a kid , retried them as an adult, still do not like them. 1st on the hate list , Beets, taste like dirt to me and the other squash , the texture in my mouth makes me gag, even when I fed squash to my daughters when they were babies. Yuck!
DH loves squash so I cook it for him..had some leftover baked squash to use up, soup seems like an option..
Found a recipe for this soup at
Whole Foods and adapted it...check out the link if you want their version that serves 6.
Like any good cook taste tested the soup for saltiness , expected to gag and turn up my nose.Who would believe it.
I loved it!This soup is rich , flavourful, yummy.
Doesn't have that horrible texture feel I can't stand.

Had to share my version ,
Ingredients, serves 3
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced celery (about 1 (11-inch) large stalk)
2/3 cup diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
1 cups cooked butternut squash
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add celery and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add butternut squash and thyme. Stir to combine with vegetables. Stir in chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until for 1 hour let the soup cool slightly and carefully puree in batches in a blender.

Calories 140 per serving.
Will I be trying baked squash , nope , but I will make this soup again , it is that good.

3 comments:

Rosanne said...

The squash would give it a nice texture!

Jannett said...

This sounds really good...looks easy to put together....
Love the new cards and tags... :)

Rosemary said...

Rosanne, yuck on the texture, just good soup with out the mouth feel.
Hendria, Was easy soup to make and thanks I am enjoying the card making quite creative.