Sunday 29 November 2009

Old fashioned Jelly Roll

I have always wanted to make a Buche de Noel for Christmas Day dessert.but .. I think I should at least try to make a plain jelly roll first.
I have fond memories of my Grandmother making a delicious jelly roll when she came to visit. She never used a recipe just made it out of her head..nor did she ever write down these wonderful items she made...... so I went on a search for a recipe and found one at Cooks . com if you want to check it out.
Mixer at work beating eggs for 5 minutes.

Cake mixture in parchment lined pan.

Rolling warm cake up in icing sugar dusted very clean tea towel.

Finished product, used sour cherry filling instead of raspberry jam, looks good.

I was happy that I could roll it up and unroll with out the cake cracking , not so happy with the cake, dry not tender, tho the flavour is good .This recipe would be good if lemon or cream filling was used , not for jelly or jam.
Any hints?

3 comments:

Rosanne said...

Oh it looks good in the pics!

Sherry said...

Looks yummy Mom - would like to try with jelly, and lots of icing in it!!!

Rosemary said...

Rosanne, it looks good just so dry.
Sherry, think that is exactly what it needs lots of icing......LOL