Friday 31 July 2009

Heucheras hate me!

Over the years I have tried to grow Coral bells/Heucheras , absolutely love the beautiful leaves......how healthy they look in others gardens........not in mine..
Last fall the garden center that helped design my front garden included Heucheras, a lovely Marmalade variety and when I questioned positioning these plants on the south facing slightly sloped garden the horticulturist said:" These will be fine". Okay I thought, they should know what will work in this area.......
This spring up they came looking good then over the early spring months I noticed them getting smaller and smaller..........disappearing..I called the garden center described my problem and of course they honored the guarantee after dropping by to see them..... " Perhaps it is too sunny , a darker one should be fine."
So in went 3 lovely healthy dark Pewter coral bells..... one month later, starting to see the same symptoms as the previous Heuchera.

It certainly hasn't been too dry this year or even that hot so.....
just can't stand to see these plants die , I have moved them to the back north garden where the first 3 reside now in an attempt to save them..

To fill in the holes in the front bed I have planted only 2 daylilies a lovely yellow called Immersed in Beauty a fragrant rebloomer diploid; and a large purple tetraploid called Mephistopheles also fragrant and a rebloomer
By the way here are 2 I moved earlier this spring..........fading, fading away.

Just in case you think I am paranoid, in my neighbours garden with the same light and situation as I; she has 2 beautiful very happy Purple Palace coral bells growing very well.
Will the last 3 moved ,survive?

4 comments:

Rosanne said...

Hmmmm, wonder why they aren't doing well but I be the lilies will be fine.

Lythrum said...

I think the lilies will probably be fine too. Those things are tough as nails and you can't hardly kill them if you try. I know that for my garden, I plant things and have a lot of casualties before I see what does good. That's why I am planning on doing some rearranging this fall, it's been three years now and I can see what is working and what isn't.

verobirdie said...

I have the same problems with clematis, they hate me, although I love them. They bloom at my neighbours's, but they die in my garden... sigh...

Anonymous said...

I wish you much luck with your flowers. You seem to have a knack with plants, so I think you'll get them straightened out. :-) I can't give any feedback since my thumb is any color but green. In the past two weeks I have managed to kill my tall african grass and a seven year old bonsai.