Thursday 9 July 2009

Cherry Sheet Cake


I'm back!and yet again ,
....... on a mission, to use up food in freezer before buying more.........
I have a bad habit of buying more before using up what is on hand.
Such a waste...So searched for recipes using cherries, raspberries and peaches.
Found this recipe for cherries, it is from Martha Stewart.
Reading the recipe description , had me wondering what the results would be like.
I can say;
"Delightful, quick, easy to make, tasty, moist and my finished product looked as pretty as the pictures at Martha's ."
I have made a few changes........... They thawed the cherries I used mine frozen, and I used salted butter not unsalted.
The recipe says it serves 8 tho I think 12.

Cherry Sheet cake;

1 cup butter, room temperature, plus more for baking sheet
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups frozen cherries
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet; line bottom with waxed paper. Butter paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2.In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture, and mix until just combined (batter will be as thick as cookie dough).
3.Spread batter evenly on prepared baking sheet; scatter frozen cherries over the top. Bake cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Invert onto a wire rack; reinvert onto another rack to cool completely (top side up).
Cook time in my oven 30 minutes!
4.To serve, cut cake into triangles with a serrated knife. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.

7 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

I'm assuming you could substitute any frozen berry in the recipe?
Certainly looks good.

Nikky said...

mmmmmm ! looks soooo tasty!

Rosanne said...

Yea, you're back! This looks like a really good recipe, and you could use any berry right?

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back. Since my husband loves cherries I think I may have to try this recipe. Also, just wanted to say that you look like you are a natural at card making... beautiful cards!

Kathryn

Rosemary said...

Victoria, any fruit would do.
Willow, very tasty.
Rosanne, very good and any type of fruit would be good.
Kathryn,thanks for the nice comment on my cards and I do think your hubby would like this cake......

Shady Gardener said...

Rosemary, This looks great! It also looks similar to something I've made for several years. I use nearly any fruit, very good with sliced apple, on top. (My recipe also calls for a crumble topping of flour, sugar and butter. It adds a few calories, but that's okay, isn't it?) ;-)

Jannett said...

This looks like another great recipe. Would be good with any fruit I would think....